Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

11. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 20:51 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 19:03:
Mobile development is where it's at. You're not going to make triple A blockbusters, but you're going to be profitable and you're gonna have a job.

Given that the vast majority of iOS games fail miserably (Mark Rein himself said the average title without publisher backing grosses $700), you are not at all guaranteed to be profitable. The major advantage of course is the cost of getting in is much lower which mitigates risk (though not for long at the rate Apple and companies like Epic are trying to drive tech that needs massive budgets on iOS) but it's not the gold rush cash cow everyone seems to think it is. If you don't get co-promotion through Apple (i.e. what Infinity Blade did) or end up in their top 25 lists (which are dominated by the same, largely publisher-backed titles), few are going to notice you and fewer are going to buy in. Granted, this is not the case with Epic because they somehow managed to sell a lot of their $8 pretty looking, ultra-repetitive, skinner box driven tech demo. I have played a number of iOS games I really like but the Infinity Blade titles are awful and demonstrate the worst micro-transaction driving aspects of iOS gaming.

The thing I find odd is that these guys are apparently calling Infinity Blade: Dungeons their first release. Wasn't this announced well before 38 Studios even collapsed? It actually looks neat (it seems to be a totally different game than the previous two, maybe one with actual game play this time) but I thought someone else was doing it. It is still awesome that Epic picked them up though and I hope they can make a good go of it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo