Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 9, 2012, 20:03 Mashiki Amiketo

Dades wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 19:48:
I know what two factor authenticator is and you typed this as I was preparing a follow up. Judging by the post they do have access to at least some of the hashed password tables. The point was that both people here and Blizzard kept blaming users for what was possibly an internal security problem. Maybe it was mostly the users fault but this should give anyone pause about making stupid assumptions in the future. They say they detected the intrusion on August 4th, who knows how long they had access before being detected? I hope they get roasted by shareholders.
I think you mean authentication Hashed and salted tables are useless, well they might become useful in 40 or 50 years, but that's besides the point. Companies don't use a AES string shorter than 256, most commonly use a string of 512 or 768 unless there's a reason to thrash your database. It's also just as possible that it was users, considering every time a person claimed to have been hacked an authenticator was often added afterwards.

But realistically, you're making the same mistake. And making a stupid assumption.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo