Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 14:51 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:38:
The game is definitely a rip-off.

But rip-offs can still innovate. I tried thinking of an example in the Kartesque genre but couldn't. Maybe Mortal Kombat, as a ripoff of SF2, counts.

I dunno, having trouble thinking of a rip-off that was innovative and went out on its own, but I know some examples exist.

Samurai Shodown was a SF2 "rip off" when it was released with added weapon combat and actually turned out to be a really sweet game. From the sword clashes/alternate combat styles without weapons, to the way you could literally slice your opponent in half with the last strike of the match.. or at the very least trigger some sweet arterial spray.. there was alot to love about Samurai Shodown when it hit the arcades.

Funny you mentioned Mortal Kombat because I just played the "newest" one at a buddy's house last night for the first time, and I have to say its a huge fucking disappointment. They had alot of things that were unique to MK and most of that took a backseat to street fighter ripoff-ery (EX moves & the button layout were the most glaring changes I noticed in the limited time I played)

And as far as "PS Exclusive titles"... they all "come" to PC eventually, just as soon as the EMU's catch up. =)

If I could name one superbly "innovative ripoff" to add to this though.. It would definitely be Lucasarts in the 80's creating graphical adventures like Sierra On-line, but completely modernizing the interface via the excellent SCUMM engine. Now that was a hell of an "innovative ripoff", and changed the entire genre.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo