Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

135. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 2, 2012, 07:54 Mr. Tact

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 12:44:
Actually, you paid ONLY for the license.
The game's DVD and packaging were FREE.
The DVD is just a medium to convey the licensed game to you, and it is 100% irrelevant.

The license is commonly a single user permission to use the game.

So long as you have a license, how you get the game or how you store it is irrelevant.

You have a right of access to the program.
You have stated this position clearly. However, I stand by my comment. I find this position to be lacking common sense on it's face. I don't know if you couldn't find comparison to my owning a book, or just didn't think or care to.

If you believe what you are saying, then can you explain why books couldn't, shouldn't, aren't marketed in the same way? (Let's ignore electronic books for the moment). The way I see it, owning a DVD copy of "Doom 3" is no different than owning a copy of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress." Yes, there are restrictions on my ownership. Such as I can't make copies and resell them without proper permissions. However, for the most part, for my own personal usage, I can do whatever the hell I want. And the manufacturer has no right reclaim my copy. It is MY copy.

The approach you are stating is to me, nonsensical. Maybe it's simply the verbiage I'm tripping over. Perhaps if instead of selling game software, they came out and called it a indeterminate length rental. Hmmm, yeah, I wouldn't like it -- but at least it wouldn't be a lie.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo