Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

75. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 02:43 jimnms

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:24:
btallas wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:18:
Out of curiosity is this something you have to agree to next time you log in steam? What if I don't agree with this new term of service? Will they refund me some $'s for the games I've purchased through their service? I agreed to the terms of service when I signed up. If they change said terms of service or add a new term of service, does that just mean I'm SOL if I don't agree to the change or addition?

I'm not saying I agree or don't agree, I'm just curious what would happen if someone doesn't agree to the new term.

Well I can tell you what happens in an immediate sense, Steam refuses to load if you don't accept. And I imagine they already had a clause saying they can change the EULA whenever they want without penalty. It's an interesting legal question.

When Steam asked me to restart to apply an update today I didn't. Maybe I'll leave my system on as long as I can to avoid having to agree to this.

I understand the reason behind class action lawsuits, but most of the time they are ridiculous and the only people to get any benefit are the lawyers. I have received several letters over the years informing me that I'm qualified to be part of a class action lawsuit or some shit. I'll read the claim against he company and it's never been about anything that effected me, so I threw them away. One time I even received a settlement check from one. The stamp cost them more than the settlement check they sent me.

What I have a problem with more than them changing the EULA to take away your right to a class action lawsuit is that they can change the EULA and if you don't agree to the new terms you can't use their software anymore.

Software companies are the only ones that do this or can do this (as far as I know). What if a car manufacturer sent out a letter to all owners informing them that you can no bring a class action lawsuit against them for any reason, and if you don't agree you must stop driving your car. That shit wouldn't be allowed to happen, so why are software companies allowed to get away with it?

MeanJim on Steam

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo