Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

30. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:57 ItBurn

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:54:
I have no problem with the game going multi-platform. Even Half-Life and Half-Life 2 appeared on consoles. As always, the issue is with the quality of the PC version itself. Skyrim was a great game and much better on PC than consoles, so I have no problem with Bethesda taking over the STALKER franchise.

Let's start with the good news:

Firstly, they'll be ditching the X-Ray engine, which was horribly inefficient and simply wasn't very good. In fact if you look at Call Of Pripyat they ended up ditching most of the graphical effects in Clear Sky because they destroyed performance. Even with my system Clear Sky runs like ass of maximum / very high settings and the game it four years old and my graphics cards are several generations ahead.

Secondly, the game will be made more accessible. The inventory system was unnecessarily convoluted, the bleeding and food systems never worked well, the difficulty was incredibly spiky (encouraging repeated quick-saving), the narrative was literally just massive paragraphs of text that were needlessly rambled on, the landscape was mostly barren with the occasional well designed area, etc.

There are potential issues - like whether they can nail the atmosphere which made the series so popular - but GSC Game World was poorly managed, had poor quality control and offered poor support for their games. Bethesda might fuck it up but it's not like GSC Game World hasn't already done that itself. Still, I'd have rather seen Ubisoft pick them up and implement STALKER using the Dunia (Far Cry 2 /3) engine. Now THAT would be awesome. And before people complain about Ubisoft's DRM you have to remember that STALKER's DRM was actually much worse (it used TAGES limited activations)!

The PC version was better because of mods and the editor, no doubt, but the port was less than stellar. The controls are terrible, to this day. The interface is also a hellish nightmare, from hell.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo