Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

40. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 20:31 Wret

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 17:12:

Admittedly, the only game I ever had that installed Uplay was the latest Assassin's Creed, and I got that outside of Steam. And it simply asked me "Do you want to install our wonderful Uplay add-ins for your browser? It will let you do really awesome stuff, like... ehm... well... erm, really AMAZING STUFF!!!!"

I guess I didn't think about Steam just forcing that shit straight onto your computer. THANKS STEAM!

Creston

That's not what's happening. uPlay 1.xx asked permission to install the browser plugins, but the recently released 2.0 silently installs it and actually requires it or the launcher refuses to function.

I have a copy of AC:B (from Amazon, not Steam) and installed uPlay on a brand new PC a week ago, straight from Ubi's website, in order to redownload it as Ubi's servers are faster. It didn't ask or even mention anything about a browser plugin, and there's nothing in the settings either. It was installed to FF and attempts to remove it caused uPlay to insist that it's installation was broken. Disabling it was the only option short of just not installing the game.

Try it for yourself and see what happens.

Nothing to do with Steam or "mindless clicking," sorry Creston.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo