Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: etc., etc. Jul 28, 2012, 06:18 Evil Timmy

I'm still wondering where all the complaints about Windows 8 are coming from. At least the bitching about Vista was somewhat justified: because of fundamental changes under the hood and not enough lead time for third parties, driver and app support were sorely lacking on release. Windows 7 was a glorified service pack to Vista, but had enough interface tweaks and years of settled drivers to really run well. Windows 8 seems to be getting a lot of flak for the new Start screen, but I find myself using it for, oh, thirty seconds in a two hour period. Press Start, type name of app, press Enter. Maybe glance at the forecast or a headline.

Other than segregating the different searches (apps, settings, and files) and not making it easy to switch between or combine them, at least the new Start menu is in some way useful. With a fast search, since Vista onwards the rest of the Start menu has been purely vestigial; why hunt through a list or menu when you obviously know the name of the program you're trying to start? Going back to other people's computers with XP and having to do so just feels backwards. In addition, 8 feels and is faster, it's leaner due to the tablet influence and boots in roughly half the time on my PC vs 7 (non-SSD). The Task Manager has probably seen the best improvement, along with being able to "reset" Windows without a reformat, but all in all this feels like the most consumer-tested Microsoft product I've encountered due to the multitudinous little tweaks.

So, again, why all the hate? Getting rid of the useless Start menu is a change, yes, but not an unneeded one. Clicking through folders as a way of organizing data is a dated idea, and slow, and that kind of structure is fading from modern computing in a general and fundamental way. Realistically, people will bitch and moan, then get used to it, then complain again when their Metro Start screen gets taken away in favor of the next interface paradigm. Touch will dominate through the next decade, then we'll be complaining that yes, the new direct neural interfaces are great, but Apple is trying to lock us in with their proprietary iGel to reduce the itchiness around the LightJack site, and Microsoft's bundling of the (clearly still beta) Office Cortex Edition is causing bouts of unconsciousness if you try and save PDFs with the trial version. You know, business as usual.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo