Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

34. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 19:02 eunichron

The exact thing was had was Interceptor Body Armor, made by Point Blank Body Armor (IBA for short). The basic set consists of a camo cover that comes in various camo styles or flat colors (for instance Marines also used IBAs, but theirs had a monotone tan cover) and soft kevlar inserts. When we switched to UCP all we got was the outer shell, and we just swapped the kevlar over. So if you want to figure the cost of that just look up the cost for just the outer shell without kevlar. A full kit of IBA would include vest, under arm protection, over arm protection, neck protector, throat protector, side plates, and groin protector. This http://www.pointblankarmor.com/Military/otv.php is pretty much exactly what we had.

So, as far as what we were issued on the switch to ACU/UCP; full IBA conversion shell minus kevlar inserts (about $200), 4 new duty uniforms ($240), patrol caps and boonie caps ($20), 2 pairs of boots (Belleville or Altama brands) ($280), and undershirts ($20). So, very rough estimate of about $760 to upgrade those of us that were there for the switch, but keep in mind that for us they didn't replace anything. We still had our forest/desert camo pouches and kits, rucksacks, and combat packs etc. They didn't start replacing those until ACU became standard issue for new recruits entering basic, which IIRC was near the end of 2006 right when I was getting out. If we wanted UCP pouches before that time we had to buy them ourselves.

Matshock wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 18:43:
I have to stick to my assessment though- we're getting gouged on your clothing unless that includes a whole bunch of shirts, socks and underwear. Only 1 pair of ACUs at that price right? Based on a few to several million copies being sold it should be less than that.

Standard issue is 4 complete uniforms, tops and bottoms, 7 undershirts, and 7 pairs of socks. Anything more than that we had to buy ourselves. According to my clothing sheet one ACU top was $26.20, one ACU trouser was $24.90, so $51.10 for one complete set. Er, I fudged that, that was for a set of BDUs... but I don't think an ACU set was much more expensive.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 19:17.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo