Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

100. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 26, 2012, 00:00 Jay

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 23:51:
Clint Eastwood would say "They better build a Win 8 front end for Steam then". Or is that something not possible?

Under current Windows 8 Metro, apps and games have to be digitally signed and certified by Microsoft and installed by MS's Marketplace service. So I wouldn't say it's impossible, but Valve and Microsoft must work out a deal, either to allow Steam storefront to distribute Marketplace games or get Steam games to be signed and approved by Microsoft (and take additional cut of the revenue). I don't see either happening because Microsoft is likely to promote their own distribution service over Steam.

edit: oh if you meant just a Metro live tile that takes you to desktop and launches Steam, then yeah I guess that's much more likely to happen - although Microsoft has the final say on whether that's acceptable or not.

edit2: I just realized what you meant: a Metro Steam app that lets you browse the store and buy games, and possibly allow you to remotely download the games on desktop in the background? I think that's within terms of service (unless, again, Microsoft doesn't allow it), but that would be considered an in-app purchase and Microsoft will take 20% to 30% cut of each transaction (which Valve wouldn't like).

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 00:16.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo