Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

62. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 23, 2012, 12:54 brmintz

I think something very important is missing from this discussion. As a biomedical engineer I am fairly familiar with FDA guidelines on drug testing as well as discovery type patents. One important thing to remember is that drugs that are fairly similar to those already on the market or old drugs being tested for a new use are subject to a much abbreviated testing period via an exemption clause which eliminates much of the cost of the first 2 phases of clinical trials. Not to be devils advocate here but seeing how the industry works, I believe a lot of these rules are necessary to keep greedy companies from taking peoples money before new drugs are adequately tested to prevent potentially catastrophic results. I do believe it is a little over the top, but necessary none the less.

The same goes for patents, there is a reason, especially in the pharmaceuticals/biotech industry to protect the ideas of scientists in R&D, namely the astronomical costs of performing biomedical research, equipment that costs several hundred thousand/million dollars, etc. is commonplace and teams consisting of engineers and PhD's cost money!

All that being said, people that just try to screw with the system suck.... wow /rant

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo