Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

54. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm sorry but if you're suggesting that a CLI is a better way to manage files than a GUI then we fundamentally disagree. And you'll find few who will agree with you.

Only because they've never properly learned how to use the Linux shell. Need to find a file containing the string Bob in a huge mess of directories?

ls -R | grep Bob

Want the results sorted? Use the history functionality to repeat the last command and pipe it to sort:

fc -s | sort

Want all the pdf files displayed in the current directory?

ls *.pdf

Want to remove exactly those files that the previous listing brought up?

fc -s 'ls=rm'

Hey that last one seems like it could be useful on a regular basis, why don't we alias it?

alias del='fc -s ls=rm'

Now we just have to type del to get the same functionality.

I could go on -- through regular expressions you can match just about any pattern -- and this is completely ignoring the programmability of bash. You can create scripts that completely automate complex file management. Need to rename all the files in a database containing tens of thousands of entries? Spend 10 minutes to write the script, a few seconds to execute the script, and you can accomplish what would literally take months to achieve manually.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo