Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

30. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 19:19 Veterator

If the key to being a successful developer is listening to your testers for game suggestions.....you're going to end up with a lot of counter-logic decisions.

Hell there are testers out there who change their opinion on something nearly daily. And when asked to describe a "perfect game" can't even answer simple questions posed against what they come up with.

Point is, most of them don't put a whole hell of a lot of thought into games but would like to pretend otherwise.

Something as simple as Tribes:Ascend in concept has people at each other throats on projectile speed......I doubt there's a single person out there whose got no complaints about Tribes:Ascend...even if you just look at one single aspect of it. Like.....should generators be in the game?

I am not saying you need Verant/SOEs "The Vision" with EQ and EQ2, but you definitely need an overall direction. You need some flexibility, but obviously once decisions are made they can affect more than just what you think they do. "The Vision" approach sounds really great, but it creates an inflexible idealized model that doesn't actually take into account if something is actually enjoyable instead of monotonous and torturous.

As for SWTOR........found the game rather boring. The game has too much single player stuff, like companions end up being single player only material. They generally added nothing to the game in it's multiplayer aspect. Seems like a waste of effort to have something like that in a multiplayer game when the majority of the content was designed for single play. Now if they would let you use your companions in a full group, and designed it that way...that would have been interesting to see.

But, I just feel like SWTOR tried to cover too many check boxes and didn't do anything particularly well.....I think they tried to hit all the major player "draws" in the game and just fell on their face.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo