Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

55. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 06:27 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 21:56:
What do you guys think about this Fray game that's currently a flash deal?

It's rare to see a game that requires 64bit.
Reading the forums sounds like its a disaster. An indie project released WAY before its ready (financial reasons perhaps?), in basically an alpha state.
The metacritic at 32, user reviews at 0.2
IGN 2/10
Escapist 1/5

On its release date last month, apparently no one was able to register and login to their game account for the first couple days.

They had to REMOVE 32bit compatibility because it had such serious continual crash bugs that it was unplayable in 32 bit, as well as apparently negatively effecting other players in the servers. They say thats temporary, but notice how 32 bit hasn't been restored and its a month after release?

It doesn't have a single player component, or even bots (which moves it down on my list, but some people may not care).

Steam has actually been granting refunds to people who have complained about this one.

In an attempt to placate early adopters (and probably boost MP population from the very low amount its been in the first few weeks after release) they've been sending out a free extra CD key to everyone who bought the game early. Which is why its been showing up in steam trade a fair amount.

A new review a couple weeks after release has it at 5.5/10
http://gamerlimit.com/2012/07/gamer-limit-review-fray/
Although it does say "still be considered unfinished." So if it continues to improve at that rate, I'm hopeful at some point it would be a worthwhile purchase. I doubt I'd want to pay more than $5 to test that theory though.

So, thats what my pre-purchase research turned up when I checked into it after seeing it on the flash deal page. I DID however add it to my wishlist and will revisit it at a later date. Hopefully it will get patched up enough to be playable.

Alamar wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 22:50:
I don't understand why Valve doesn't have 'add to cart' links on the main page... I bet that would single-handedly solve all their major sale bandwidth/overload issues...

-Alamar
Thats one of the many many small tweaks they could do on steam to make it easier to use. Its only just recently they bothered to let people do a search of friends list (probably finally got around to copying the library search code). One could go with my standard valve explanation of uninteresting for the employees on wheels and they need to hire some UI experts, or come up with their own explanation. The sad part is that steam has been out for many years and is still in this state.

If EA had bothered to work on origin just a teeny tiny bit before release, they could have stomped all over valve/steam in terms of a polished and pleasing to use client. If someone would have asked "how can we make origin better and easier to use than our main competitor" it could have been so much better. It would have still been an uphill battle, but it would have been a start. I tried it with my existing EA games and it was even worse than steam. And EA is just about the worst publisher around in so many ways, compared to valve which is one of the best and has been an incredible boon for indie games, as well as revolutionizing PC game delivery.
That and the fact that most of my games are on steam means that for the foreseeable future, I'm not going to bother to buy anything on origin. The only non steam EA game that remotely interests me is BF3, but there's other alternatives for that style of game if thats the kinda gameplay I want.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 06:51.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo