Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

67. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 11, 2012, 20:54 Prez

Without being a fly on the wall in Vivendi board meetings it's virtually impossible to know for sure, but given the timing of all this I am feeling that this upcoming sale is based on more than just the need for a quick shot of a lot of cash. While they certainly need it, I can't help thinking that Vivendi realizes that both Call of Duty and WoW have already plateaued as far as earning potential goes and they are going to begin the cycle of diminishing returns shortly (arguably WoW already has, and Blizzard works WAY too slowly to release a proper sequel to give the franchise the shot in the arm it needs to remain the cash cow it has been for so long). Furthermore, while Diablo 3 has inarguably been a massive runaway financial success, I'm almost willing to bet my house that no future Diablo game will sell even remotely as well. A massive portion of that particular game's sales were done basically on faith in Blizzard and Diablo, but it's fairly safe to say I think that, through absolutely horrible design and business choices coupled with a heretofore uncharachteristic lack of competence, Blizzard has squandered most if not all of that faith. If one were to want to shed themselves of a gaming division before the bottom fell out of its earning potential now would definitely be the time to do it in Acti-Blizz's case.

EDIT: And to add to the off-topic side conversation, while I in no way share Aseven's certainty that a crash of '83 proportions is imminent, I think it's a point worth mentioning that the economists who (as it turns out, correctly) predicted the banking/housing implosion of 2008 were drowned out by the vast majority of economists who virtually guaranteed that such a thing could never happen in our lifetime. The amount of gaming dollars being invested in over-priced and poor quality games is helping to create a perfect storm of sorts, though admittedly many other factors were at play in the '83 videogame crash.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 21:25.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo