Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: KAOS Studios Postmortem Jul 8, 2012, 18:36 Jerykk

ViRGE wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 07:15:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 03:36:
If EA needs Dead Space 3 to sell at least 5 million units, they're going to be in for a disappointment. If any publisher expects any of their games to sell that much, they're setting themselves up for failure. Games that sell that well are the exception, not the rule, and spending ridiculous amounts of cash on marketing doesn't guarantee success.
So actually that's an interesting point. Does EA need to sell 5mil copies of Dead Space 3 because it costs 150mil+ to make, or do they need to sell 5mil copies because the break-even point on dev costs is 2mil copies, and they're spending the revenue from another 3mil copies on advertising?

It seems to me that everyone is spending entirely too much on advertising, and they keep having to spend more to stay afloat. Not entirely unlike a junkie that keeps having to do stronger drugs to get the same feeling of euphoria.

I wouldn't expect DS3 to cost more than $50 million to make. However, marketing budgets are usually 2-3 times higher than development budgets, so EA is likely going to spend $150 million on marketing.

In know, anectodal evidence and all ... but a buddy of mine recently realised, how much effin money he poured into some of these F2P-P2W games. He was so shocked, he stopped playing these games for good and promises to never touch anything, which labels itself "Free to play".

They burned him, burned him good. He stops being a freemium customer. I dont know if this will happen to other people, but knowing the greed inside this industry, F2P will be over in a few years, due to the stupid greed of executives, who dont know when to stop.

It sounds like he burned himself. Modern F2P games are not P2W. You can unlock everything that affects gameplay through natural progression without spending a penny. Aesthetic things like skins may be pay-only, but those have no impact on your in-game performance. They also tend to be ridiculously overpriced. But again, completely optional. If your friend felt compelled to buy every $10 skin, he wasn't "burned." He just spent his money irresponsibly.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo