Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 11:50 Kitkoan

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:45:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:33:
Cisco backpedals after uproar, drops cloud from default router setting.

Glad they reconsidered, though it never should have been forced on people to begin with. No way in hell I'd buy one of those...

I'm fine with them forcing it, I mean those routers are sold with that as a feature and if that's what they want that's what they want (I see some benefit to it, too, but, like, a marginal once-in-10-years kind of event.)

I'm just not cool with them rolling it out to people that had already been using the device prior. That's a drastic change. But people buying it now? It says on the box it's a cloud control, no big deal if it's the default - it's a selling point.

I'll stick with routers whose firmware I can replace, anyway. Probably need to replace my Linux powered Linksys (54GL?) but not for a while.

Does it say on the box Cloud control required/only interface? And that it is collecting your information as its being passed through?

Its one thing to mention a feature, its another when its the feature is the only thing you can use and that its spying on you

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo