Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 20:47 Parallax Abstraction

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 18:49:
For those mentioning the $1-$2 Android and iOS games, Square Enix isn't having a problem selling their games on those two at prices between $10-$15 each.

Yeah but most of those are Final Fantasy remakes and trading on that branding. It's very easy to charge a premium when you have a very strong install base of fans who will buy anything with Final Fantasy on it. Companies like Cave are also charging $10+ for iOS updates of their old shmups and they're in bad financial shape and recently had their CEO resign.

killer_roach, I think you're reading more into what I was saying than I was. I'm not saying that only the Top 25 Angry Birds level of mobile titles can succeed. Far from that and those board games you are right in claiming have a nice long tail and sell well. Granted, those are IPs established from elsewhere. If someone tried to put out a wholly original board game idea on iOS tomorrow, how much notice would it get? But there are exceptions of course.

What I was addressing are people like Paul Barnett who I recently heard on the Giant Bombcast basically claiming that in a couple of years, anything that isn't $0.99 or free is going to fail and that people are soon not going to be prepared to pay any real up front price for games. I think that argument in the way he presented is it ridiculous and if it's true that everything is going to be a $1 title full of skinner box microtransaction crap, I guess I'll have to find another hobby. The world is still in a bad way economically, a fact many in the gaming press don't seem to remember. iOS devices are selling as well as they are because they're fashionable (don't take that to mean they won't continue to sell well but Apple's current growth trend is unsustainable) but that's going to taper off when people start to get tired of replacing a $500 device every two years because the old one has been artifically obsoleted.

Mobile games are here to stay and I think gaming is better for that. And there's a good chance that the next generation of consoles may be the last and that how people acquire and play games will be changing a lot. But I think the notion I referenced above is ridiculous. The enthusiast press is very good at proclaiming short-term trends as the new norm and then pretending like they never said that when they're wrong. This is an industry that loves to quote Michael Pachter after all. The mobile market in its current form has only existed for less than 5 years and there's simply no evidence to assert that the current trend of growth there is sustainable or that a few well publicised successes in any way represent the common trend in mobile development.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo