Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 4, 2012, 21:48 Dades

Rhino wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 20:57:
I don't understand the anger, here. I don't care for achievements either, though will often fulfill them through the course of my regular play. As I don't want to actively pursue them then I simply do not do so. That said, I'm not about to begrudge those that do given the hypocrisy that would be evident by my suggesting that pursuing them is ridiculous, but spending my free time playing games is not.

There was an interesting article from one of the Xbox Live developers back in 2009 about achievements. The short version is that people respond so well to the reward mechanism in achievements that games with them do better financially than games without them. This led to many developers actually structuring parts of their game around achievements to the point where Microsoft had to introduce stricter guidelines surrounding them. It might not directly affect you in an immediate sense but it definitely indirectly affects you.

With an old game like this it doesn't really matter because the content is set. I do miss games where you would find secrets instead of grinding dumb things for achievements though, I'd much rather find easter eggs and debug rooms than repeat an activity 1000 times so I can get a virtual back pat. I think I've done maybe a handful of truly interesting and fun achievements that are memorable. We're all wasting time gaming anyway but might as well make it interesting instead of repetitive.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo