Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

68. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 19:54 Devinoch

ventry wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 19:44:
Devinoch wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 18:29:
Games are expensive to make. You know why you don't get patches? Because people didn't buy the game. If people don't buy the game, there's no money incoming to improve the game. It was easy to QA games in the Atari 2600 days. Now there's so much content in games, it's nearly impossible for anyone to have seen it all once, much less the 50-100 times it takes to properly QA it.

So what your saying is games publishers are selling FAULTY products and whether you get that product fixed or not depends on people buying that product?

If you can't see how wrong this business model is then you are lacking in active brain cells sir.

If you can't actually see the argument I'm making, you're being deliberately dense.

There has not been a "bug free" piece of software shipped in the last twenty years. With the amount of complexity software has gotten to, there comes a point where you just have to ship it, regardless of the state it's in. If you're a very talented team, who's had plenty of time to work on the project and to polish it to a fine shine, you're probably 95-98% bug free. If you're running out of money and need to get it onto shelves so that you can afford to GET it onto shelves, well, you're probably shipping a game that's 70-80% bug free. If you're a developer who just doesn't care, you're shipping a game that's 50% bug free. That last group isn't any major game studio I've ever seen. That first group is almost no major game studio I've ever seen. Most game studios fall into the mid range.

I love how you're bandying the word "faulty" around, as though every game you've ever bought shipped with a game-breaker bug, and you've been painfully wronged by the games industry on the whole. Games ship with bugs. If you think you can ship a game without any bugs at all, I sincerely welcome you to try.

I bet it's Tic-Tac-Toe.

Game companies that ship with game-breakers, I'm absolutely with you that they should be chastised. But let's be honest, how many truly horrible bugs are out there? Game crashes happen. If they happen a lot, then yes, by all means, yell at the developer, that's a game-breaker. Except realize that your other choice might have been to not get the game at all. The occasional crash, I'm willing to live with. If you aren't, well, I invite you to stop playing games, and stop talking to people who make games.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo