Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

18. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 18:15 Quboid

DG wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 17:45:
Regardless, yeah a spearman could take out a tank. Tanks are crap at unconventional warfare. Hide up a tree, drop down, open hatch and stab everyone inside. Or dig a pit trap. We lost tanks to civilians with molotovs in Iraq. Shit, we lose tanks just moving them around because they fall apart.

There was a point in Civ IV when it was clearly happening too frequently, but it should always be possible for a spearman to defeat a tank.

Thank you!

I've made this point on here before, a Spearman should be able to beat a Tank, very very occasionally, because it's not a few spearmen at one end of a field and some tanks at the other one morning. It's global scale; maybe 10,000 spearmen* against 40 tanks*, over miles of terrain and months or years. If those 10,000 men disappear into a forest, your tanks will never find most and the spearmen could wait for the tanks to stop, resupply or rest for the night and swarm them.

Compare that to, say, a helicopter beating a pikeman in a city. In scale, this would be maybe 5 helicopters* versus 2,000 pikemen* - again, they'll practically disappear into the city and the helicopters can't do a damn thing. The pikemen shouldn't beat the helicopter, but the helicopters alone shouldn't do much damage.

The David-beating-Goliath wins should only happen occasionally, but they do only happen occasionally. I've played many hours of Civilization and I've only seen really strange outcomes a handful of times. In Civ 5 I've had some unlike results but nothing even like a Spearman versus a Tank. In fact, I don't think I've seen any games which even feature these two units at once, since the AI and me both keep units up to date.

* I'm using approximate guesses for actual unit sizes of course, but generally the ancient units would have many more times the number of personnel. Also, this (and the lack of combined arms) is ultimate done for game balance and it works very well.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 18:46.

- Quboid

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo