Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: Risen 2 Demo Jun 25, 2012, 00:49 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 22:42:
These guys have always had a hard time with combat. I *still* can't actually use the "kick" feature in the game. For some reason it's assigned to the same button as jump, but there are onscreen prompts for when you're supposed to use it in battle, but every time (and I've put about 20 hours into the game), you just... jump.

You have to be locked onto a target if you want to kick. Hold RMB and then press Space.

As for the game's quality, I'd say it's pretty good if you enjoyed PB's previous games. If not, you definitely won't enjoy Risen 2. PB actually tries some new things. The equipment system has been greatly expanded and they've added skill checks during dialogue. I wish there were more of those but it's a good start. Some of the quests have multiple solutions too, which is a nice change. Again, I just wish there was more of that. After the patch that added dodging and the ability to block animal attacks, the combat is a lot less frustrating.

Compared to Gothic 1 and 2, Risen 2 has been simplified in some respects. Trading is much more user-friendly. Merchants have infinite gold and the value of items doesn't decrease based on how much quantity the merchant already has. To compensate, training is very expensive. I kinda wish they would just make it harder to get money and reduce the training costs accordingly but the end result would essentially be the same. Also, there's no mana. Instead, all special abilities are based on cooldowns. While this lets you use your abilities more often, I think it diminishes the long-term depth a bit. If you're patient enough, you can use your abilities infinitely during a fight, whereas with mana, you couldn't.

In regards to Jaguar's review, I think it's a bit harsh. Is it safe to assume that you either didn't play or enjoy Gothic 1 and 2? You criticize the presence of a soft lock and claim the game lacks depth as a result, but this isn't a shooter. The depth stems from the melee combat. Learning enemy attack behaviors, timing your blocks, dodges and attacks, managing your cooldowns and positioning your character to avoid being flanked... this is what requires skill and makes the combat interesting. If you try to button-mash your way to victory, you will die. That alone makes the combat more engrossing than the combat in Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, etc.

Shitty combat is still shitty combat. Even if there are elements of the game that are nice, skill checks in dialog, multiple quest solutions. Combat is the meat of these types of games, and Risen 2's combat, much like ever prior Pirana Bytes game sucks ass.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo