Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 21:59 Prez

Sad to say that I quit my campaign in Sins in frustration today. Granted I had a virtually unbeatable empire built, with 3 massive fleets that were rolling over opposing planets rather easily and victory was all but a foregone conclusion. Even so, I feel deprived of the "payoff" of all the hard work and strategizing that got me there by experiencing the joys of seeing my bitter enemies for the last 55 hours crushed beneath my galactic war machine. The reason? Late game lag. I'm talking slide show city/low teen frame rates kind of lag. To be sure, late game lag/stuttering has always been a bit of a problem in previous iterations of Sins, but before Rebellion it has never rendered the game unplayable. In the past lowering the UI and graphics options allowed me to finish the games I played, but no such luck here.

I am told it is in large part due to the fact that the Sins engine can only use 32 bit (meaning it will not utilize over 4 GB of RAM regardless of how much you have) and it does not utilize multithreading [EDIT: My terminology was wrong- that should read "hyperthreading"], meaning it will only use one core of multicore procs, and to change that would need a massive engine overhaul that Ironclad lacks the resources to do. Fair enough. But if that is the case, why in the world would they make the game more graphically intensive when it was already gimped and can't take advantage of faster systems with more memory?

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2012, 00:19.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo