Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

44. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 11:12 TheEmissary

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 11:01:
Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 10:44:
Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 10:38:
Yes, but how often will it BSoD / do I need to reboot it to keep it working?

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say this will go the way of the Playbook and the TouchPad.

Creston

I doubt it. Plus, with Microsoft tightly controlling it, I doubt there will be many BSODs. I'd think this board is technical enough to know where BSODs tend to come from.

Bad drivers. What in Microsoft's history has given you any kind of idea that they can write drivers worth a shit?

Anyway, so far the Tablet market has seemed to be dominated by hipsters who will only buy something when it has Apple on it. Amazon managed to get good penetration with the Kindle because it was several hundred bucks below an iPad (and really isn't a competitor to the iPad to begin with.)

Every other iPad competitor has pretty much failed horribly, no matter its OS, specs, or company behind it. I'm not sure why MS thinks that they will be different, unless they truly believe that people are just DYING for Win8. (And Balmer is insane enough to actually believe that.)

The MS name attached to it is a burden, not a blessing.

Well, I guess it could be succesful if they sell it for 300 bucks or so. Which is pretty unlikely.

Creston

A lot of people want and will pay the extra premium for the x86 tablets because they aren't confined solely to the walled garden and can run standard software from the back catalog. Being able to have full experience is a huge deal for tablets especially when most tablet apps are just phone apps on a large screen.

I have a feeling the ARM version will be the loss-leader for Microsoft kind of like what they did with the XBox. I can see that version being comparable in price to either to the iPad or a low end notebook.

Ultimately it comes down to what people need or want out of the device. If you want a media consumption device then the iOS/Android tablets will fill that need far cheaper. If you want netbook/ultrabook with different form factor you might be considering the Microsoft tablet.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo