Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 03:16 raVen

guys that make the most stable feature complete drivers for Linux
I wont expect you to watch the whole hour video like I did. but at least back up 1min to listen to the question: She asks why her dual graphics laptop is shit and doesn't work right in Linux. His response is that Nvidia hasn't ever gone the distance with actually supporting the community with documents and information about their chipsets / chips. They do provide a binary blob, and yes it sometimes works.

At the very beginning of the video Linus talks about why he started working on Linux in the first place, and it was because there was a void with his software that needed to be filled in this case he had used Unix at the University -- where he had been writing all of his tools and programs from scratch, because that's just how he grew up with software, if he couldn't buy a program due to lack of money or doesn't exist on the platform, he would write his own software as a replacement. With that bit of information it should be clearer why when a company will go out of the way to use Linux internally but do not actually contribute to Linux other than a binary blob that in order to be truly useful has to be reverse engineered.

TLDR; The question in which he replies Fuck you Nvidia is directed at their binary driver not working, and them not actually providing support.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo