Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

56. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 10:12 Ceribaen

OldTimber wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 09:40:
I really wish Turbine got a SW license as I'd like to see what they could do with it as they have a good track record with running/developing MMO's.

I'd say Turbine was about 50/50... Though they have been pretty good about bringing something new to the table generally with each game.

AC1 - great for its time, think its still going on. First to do monthly story/content updates. Also first to have a single world you could run across without zones.
AC2 - had potential, but they failed to realise it (should have been one of the first major world building MMOs really... had the three factions, with pvp-centric areas... but no way to exert control/change over the landscape as a result). First I can recall with cinematic story quest lines.
DDO - was a failure until Turbine basically pioneered the Western style F2P, and has been pretty solid commercial success for them
LOTRO - did well for while, hit a lull - then they converted it to DDO-style F2P and gained some new life. Not sure if LOTRO brought anything really new to the mmo scene though. I always thought monster play could have been expanded significantly and was failed potential there (rather than a separate instance, I think it should have been a high level quest zone -- obviously nothing required as that wasn't the style of the game, but at least part of the real game world).

Probably their biggest benefit/failing is the fact that they've almost always focused on providing a PVE-centric game.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo