Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

10. Re: Wyoming Jun 12, 2012, 14:40 DG

The Portal video had excellent effects, but one thing always bothers me about these Portal videos.

They all do the perpetual falling thing. It always ends safely.

Sure, videos are entertainment, but when set in a context of Portal physics in "real life" there has to be a nod towards physics in real life.

Terminal velocity is about 120mph when a skydiver takes maximum resistance (i.e. belly down), and it's reached in about 15 seconds. Going feet-first, all tucked in to avoid losing limbs on the edge of the portal, the speed could be getting on for 200mph.

True, the upward motion should slow him until he reaches 0 mph at the peak. So we'd have to consider just the subsequent falling back.

Even if we're to assume the height reached is correct when the exit portal is moved to the back yard, he free-falls after that for ~5 seconds, so assuming a belly-fall shouldn't he be going around 85mph when he falls back into it, and not much less than that when he goes splat onto the ground? Though maybe he'd already be dead from the instant change in direction.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo