Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

77. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 10, 2012, 15:53 Prez

Who are you kidding?

I expect no one, since I'm not attempting to. Whatever you thought of the quality of Quake 4, it was designed the way it was (instead of a flashier Quake 3) because Quake singleplayer was vastly more popular than its multiplayer according to id themselves. And while multiplayer purists always claim that the singleplayer portions of Unreal Tournament games are nothing more than training for online, the fact of the matter is (again according to the developer themselves) is that the vast majority prefer to play them singleplayer against bots. Why do you think Epic spends so much effort on making quality bots? UT's bots are the best in the business by a country mile, and for me playing against bots that you can tweak to give you a perfect match every time is way more preferrable than dealing with the unpredictability of real people.

Again, I only point this out to illustrate that despite the industry's moving more and more to F2P (which are multiplayer-only devoid of an offline component), many gamers aren't thrilled at the loss of even more singleplayer games that such a move causes. Crysis is predominantly a singleplayer series, and I still want to vomit when I think of Mechwarrior Online, given how incredibly awesome the trailer released a while back looked. That trailer screamed "singleplayer". Planetside and Tribes going F2P is all very well; those were already multiplayer games. It's the games like MW and Crysis that were better at being singleplayer going F2P that I find so damn discouraging.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2012, 16:09.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo