Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

68. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 23:09 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 20:50:
Secondly, the use of credits to limit how often players can get vehicles is supposed to be a balancing mechanic. Vehicles were overpowered in T2 and they're still overpowered in T:A. A single Shrike with a decent pilot can effectively defend an entire base.
Hiding vehicles behind credit walls rewards the better players, which only further imbalances the game. At least in T2 everybody had an equal chance with the vehiclse. If vehicles aren't balanced then that should be addressed directly, even if it means vehicles are limited to transportation / mainly defensive.

Finally, if you enjoy a game, playing it should not be considered "grinding." Grinding is when you repeatedly do something tedious or mundane solely for the sake of gaining XP, unlocking stuff or getting loot.
If you enjoy vehicles more than regular combat then it would be considered grinding. To be fair I much preferred the support vehicles in T2, like the HAVOC Gunship Transport or the Jericho Mobile Point Base.

Few issues here. Firstly, unlockables are not limited to F2P games.
I know, but I dislike the entire concept of unlockables. To me it cheapens the entire game and rewards the players who put in the most time or have the most skill by giving them advantages over lesser players. Rewards should be cosmetic, in which case I would highly favour rewarding the better players. The game itself should be what keeps people playing, not getting the next unlock or being able to use vehicles.

I enjoyed what I played of T:A but the F2P model put me off. It just cheapened the game experience. I'd much rather pay asking price for a full game and have everything available to me. There are F2P games that break free from this - like TF2 and Dota 2 - and I'm sure there will be many more. Warface actually looks pretty promising. But in general I actively avoid F2P games.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo