Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

2. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2012, 10:39 StingingVelvet

ViRGE wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:23:
A pair of really good articles from RPS today, particularly the one on violence. Why the heck is everything a realistic ultraviolent manshooter this year? Not to bemoan violence as evil, but it's like eating ice cream for dinner every night; it lacks variety.

There's plenty of stuff that isn't that, it just seems like it's all violent. Reminds me of how everyone was saying 90% of games were shooters for a while there and then some site did the numbers and discovered shooters were like the 4th most plentiful genre. I should look for that article.

Anyway, as the article itself says you can't have it both ways, you can't say GAMES ARE FREE SPEECH AND SHOULD NEVER CENSORED and then also write an article about how game violence makes you feel twitchy or angry or whatever. A lot of sites seem to play both angles.

In the end people like violence in movies and games because it's an outlet for frustration with the world. It's fine. As a culture we are tremendously less violent than we were before media came around.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo