Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

40. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 16:12 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 13:40:
Is kids using electronic devices uniformly considered a bad thing?

The AMA says NO screen time before age 2, then only an hour or less per day on average after that. The big problem is that mental activity in the brain flatlines, and the brain stops growing during those periods. Because of this, TV watching directly correlates with increased risk of ADHD: 1 hour per day increases the chance by 10%, 2 hours by 20%, etc. Games have some interactivity, but many games become rote, thus the effect is the same as TV.

We have no cable TV, only discs and Netflix (the computer is PW protected), so the kids can only watch after homework, dinner, shower, and teeth. Many nights there's no TV at all as we play board games, read books, play Legos or whatever.

That being said, there's a place for TV and games. My daughter loves SupCom, and the complexity and management aspects of it exercise her brain somewhat. My son loves Dirt 2, and laughs and laughs while playing which also has neurological benefit. Both of them watch Backyardigans sometimes, and sing the songs from the show for days afterwards.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo