Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 3, 2012, 17:31 Flatline

Aero wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 15:51:
In the end, I think the biggest problem is that Max's controls aren't that good. Compared to other cover-and-roll third person shooters like Gears of War and such, it's kind of awkward. There's a lot of GTA-ness in there, where completing the animation is more important than fluid control, and the animations don't transition very well. Max has to stop and recover to a neutral position after every move so the next one can begin, which often leaves you standing up straight like an idiot in the middle of a hallway when your intention was to roll out of cover on one side and enter cover on the other.

I think there's a little too much emphasis on graphics there. If making the controls fluid means fudging the animations sometimes, so be it. Difficulty through awkward controls is pretty much the fundamental video game design sin.

That said, it's not all that bad, but given the polish and effort expended everywhere else, you figure they could have done a better job with the controls.

The other issue is that Max Payne games have always been about movement. There was no set cover system, so movement was your best defense. Enemy bullets (hell your bullets too) in bullet time have been significantly sped up, and bullet time basically lets you aim in a second or two before you get shot to death as opposed to being primarily a survival mechanic.

But yeah, the "must finish animation before starting the next one" kind of blows. I need to go back and seriously remap my keyboard layout. Adding a dedicated "aim" button really changed the layout of the keys oddly enough and has made movement... kind of funky since I now have the G key to roll way over on the right and some other things like no jump button.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo