Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 20:44 Flatline

So far MP3 is harder than the previous games, which is sort of a good thing, but most of my deaths have felt cheap instead of "I'm not good enough". Like someone kicks a door open behind me and guns me down.

The cut scenes are annoying in that they go *really* pixellated like a bad compression codec, even though it's I believe in-game rendering.

Speaking of cutscenes, I feel like a good quarter of the game I can't control. At one point I"m providing sniper cover for my friend in the game, and it takes the scope view control away from me so I can track him, and only then releases control when bad guys run up. Totally breaks the immersion and I am painfully aware of the cut scenes. I miss the 3 comic panels and the 20 seconds of voiceover.

I don't like getting yanked out of where I'm at for a cutscene, I *hate* when the load points literally are 1 second after the bad guys burst out and every time you load you get shot multiple times.

I'm not sure how bullet time works. Shoot a bunch of guys and it builds up from empty or near empty. Hit shift and you go into bullet time, which seems to actually last longer that way than it did before. Shoot-dodge now is not one little pip of bullet time off your meter, it consumes bullet time the entire time until you hit "shift" again, which *BLOWS*. I almost don't shoot dodge any more because it ends up using all my goddamn bullet time up. In fact, with the cover system, pretty much I go into cover, and hit bullet time to headshot everyone, then move on. There's none of the gun ballet that was there previously so far, because bad guys are fucking surgeons with their weapons.

The story is decent, but doesn't feel max payne-ish. It feels like a cross between Man on Fire (which I'm okay with) and GTA (which I'm not okay with).

And my final gripe, if you're carrying a rifle or shotgun as your active weapon, EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU HAVE A CUTSCENE it switches you back to a single pistol and you have to re-select the fucking rifle. WHY THEY DID THIS I DO NOT KNOW. So every cutscene I run for cover just so I can select more than a single f*cking pistol.

Aside from all that crap, it's pretty fun. Not as good as Max Payne 2 I think.

Don't think MP noir, think Man on Fire.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo