Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

88. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 14:28 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:39:
Doom 3 is the third iteration and nowhere in the preview material back then did I hear them mention wanting to get back to the root of early Doom 1 gameplay.

Well, it IS a remake of the original game, not two. I have certainly seen them mention it was made in the original shareware Doom release model, but perhaps that was after the fact. Doom 4 is supposed to be like Doom 2, FYI.

Incidentally Rage suffers from similar problems. It apes many modern features and takes inspiration from other games but never really goes anywhere with them. Everything is rudimentary or implemented in a "safe" way so that they don't stray too far from their roots. I think its an id problem in general, they've never been able to decide if they're going to fully embrace newer gameplay design/mechanics or not.

I agree with this, mostly. I also thought Rage was a disappointment and quit it halfway through. I think you nailed it in regards to them being scared to change much but throwing in token innovations that don't really pan out like the flashlight or racing.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo