Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

86. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 10:41 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:50:
It is a different game though, it's more of a slow paced plodder with artificial gimmicks to induce tension. The flashlight implementation was an incredibly lazy design choice, I'm surprised to hear anyone defend it. The real problem with Doom 3 was that it should have been a more linear experience without things like monster closets, you can see they wanted to make something almost akin to Dead Space. They straddled the line with trying to accommodate fans and the traditional genre though. So they ended up with something in between that was disappointing to many.

I think you and many others compare it to Doom 2 or the late levels of the original rather than the entire first game. Doom was slower, it had a lot of monster closets, plodding pace, light used to scare you or make you fumble about. I have played episode 1 of Doom like 30 times and I consider Doom 3's early portions a very representative remake of it. The later levels pick up speed quite a lot and closely match the later sections of Doom, though not quite a hectic perhaps due to engine limitations more than anything I bet.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo