Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

18. Re: Turn off your PC May 31, 2012, 22:34 jimnms

Tom wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:41:
Never go cheap with the power supply.

Sugarman wrote on May 30, 2012, 00:05:
^^ what that guy said. I got a cheaper 600 watt for my home rig as I mainly play at my office and kept smelling that hot electronics smell "you know what that smells like", soon enough it just shut off, ends up it took out my hard drive with it so yea, never skimp on the power supply.

space captain wrote on May 30, 2012, 00:37:
thats what happens when you let dust build up inside there

dont be stupid - thats the real message

its pretty broad advice

Wow, you all assume it's either a cheap PSU or neglected. It was a brand new machine I built a few months earlier. The PSU was neither cheap nor dusty. Luckily the system survived, it was actually still running while flames and smoke were coming out. I shut off the UPS and the fire fizzled itself out.

The Windows 7 hybrid sleep is nice. It combines regular sleep mode with hibernation, so if it's sleeping and loses power, you don't lose your work. I used it for a while, but somewhere along the line NVIDIA's did something that doesn't get along with it. It works most of the time, but every now and then a few minutes after resuming from sleep the display goes black. The system isn't locked up, BSODed or anything, the video card drivers just crap out and don't recover.

Steam Profile

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo