Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

148. Re: Diablo III Patch May 30, 2012, 13:47 Verno

Bhruic wrote on May 30, 2012, 13:25:
What I don't understand is why the people are targeting Diablo 3? I mean, we have the "experts" in the thread saying that everyone who got hacked had keyloggers or equivalent installed on their computers. So if that's the case, why would a hacker settle for Diablo 3? Wouldn't they go after your bank login? Your Paypal account? You know, something they could use to get real money? As fun as getting Diablo 3 gold must be, since no one knows how much it'll sell for, and considering how much money Blizzard takes from every deal, it seems like a really poor way to get paid.

Battle.net accounts (including WOW, D2, D3, etc) are worth a fair bit of cash, there's a huge demand so the goods are easy to unload and the hackers face little to no risk of prosecution. Foreign countries have come a long way in terms of working with banks/authorities when it comes to dealing with compromised email/bank/etc logins. Gaming stuff is a much safer target and you don't have to worry about a trail because no one is coming after you anyway.

Some people around here won't like this but the truth is that the gaming industry is well known as a soft target to hackers, that's why there has been a large rash of them over the past two years. It's a relatively young industry where there is almost no compliance with security/data access standards that other industries have. Hell, a lot of it is outsourced even.

edit: beaten

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo