Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

96. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 25, 2012, 16:36 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 24, 2012, 11:12:
I must have missed that news release, when was DA2 considered profitable? Or is that just an assumption because it had a shorter dev cycle? Also I think it remains to be seen just how strong the Mass Effect franchise is. Mass Effect 3 sold really well but it was the end to the trilogy and the ending was almost universally panned by both critics and fans alike.

Employee comments on DA2. The game sold less than Origins but had like 1/5th the budget and made a decent profit. The DLC sold poorly though, indicating poor reaction to the main game, which along with forum reaction is why they are in damage control mode.

I know you disagree but personally I think 90% of DA2's problems were from being rushed. Simplistic battle design, spawns from nowhere, repeated content, one city, etc... all of that can be rooted in the rush. If they have real time to develop the next one I won't have a problem being optimistic about it.

I think Bioware as a traditional RPG studio is definitely done like dinner.

Depends what traditional RPG studio means. Are they done making high profile games and being a big studio for EA? Nowhere close. Are you saying they're going to make more action RPGs like Mass Effect and less CRPG love letters like Origins? Of course, but that's market mandated.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo