Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

76. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 25, 2012, 10:36 Verno

Linksil wrote on May 25, 2012, 10:17:
It's really weird because every time I read about you guys not getting any drops to help your characters, all I see is drops that can upgrade or sidegrade my current gear as I progress. Now I havn't dumped as much time(damn work) but I've gotten through Normal on 2 characters without going to the AH once. The problem is not the loot, but the player wanting to min/max stuff. ALL stats help you, just some more then others.

Well the problem is that the game really places an emphasis on health and damage which come from two stats. Sure other stats change a number on your character sheet but they do not give you anywhere near a bonus as your main stat and vitality do. This isn't restricted to attributes either, item rolls are important. +Damage is a huge game changer and not in a min/maxing way. Doubling your DPS isn't really what I consider min/maxing. Many items I come across might have more armor for example but that doesn't mean I just equip them without at least considering the modifiers and I don't really think of that as min/maxing either.

As you get into Inferno you start adding resists but it's a much more simplified system than previous games. I get what you're saying and there are some people who will min/max every possible item roll/slot for their character but I think the loot table is a bit more flawed than you're considering. To be fair though some people will just get better luck with drops than others. A friend of mine is really upset because he has had to purchase most of his upgrades on the AH while I've always had really good luck with drops for my own class. I think that whole thing is exasperating for players who do more solo especially.

On a more personal complaint, I'm really disappointed with the quality of the loot modifiers themselves at high levels. What you're collecting at low levels differs very little from higher levels and they don't throw much into the mix to make it interesting. 1.5% chance to stun, whoop de doo. Some of the D2 items had class abilities and the like on them. Sure that introduces some balance issues but its primarily a co-op game so I don't get the big deal. I'd rather the loot be really fun than incredibly balanced.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo