Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

92. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 24, 2012, 10:48 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on May 24, 2012, 10:04:
In other words... EA has already started putting this game into "slum-lord mode". We saw how well that worked for Warhammer. If that $300 milllion investment number is true (not to mention what it's cost to launch and manage the game for the last 5 months) , EA seems to be cutting their losses early, on a game that underperformed BADLY (compared to investment). Meaning, they probably don't have faith that it can be turned around either, and they are seeking the easiest path to get most of their money back. (by cutting Staff and milking what they got until it's dead - just like Warhammer).

I don't really know enough about the TOR numbers and MMO history to argue that aspect. It makes sense to me that you cut people once the game launches and have a smaller maintenance team, but you could be right in saying the opposite. In any case, the Bioware studio in Texas was built for TOR and is not really going to be considered a failing of the brand if the game tanks. That's my main point.

As for DA2, Bioware employees have been surprisingly blunt on their forums about having a mandate to shit out a sequel in record time to capitalize on the release of the original. I think if EA ordered that they have to be understanding of the result and pleased it was still profitable. Honestly many people here would scream the opposite but for a quick cash-grab with a more console focused design I still thought the game was very enjoyable and look forward to the real Dragon Age sequel we will probably get in a couple years.

With Mass Effect stronger than ever despite the ending complaints I just don't see the studio as in jeopardy. Maybe the MMO part, but not the rest. I guess your point is that if DA3 fails and maybe something else THEN they would be on the bubble, and I suppose that makes sense, but I don't see those future failures as anywhere near probable. DA2 was a special case and I don't think EA will repeat that mistake.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo