Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

87. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 17:09 sauron

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2012, 14:39:
wtf_man wrote on May 23, 2012, 10:48:
sauron wrote on May 23, 2012, 10:29:
The one thing that bugs me about LOTRO is that it caters to soloing almost too well. MMOs really start to rock when they encourage (but don't force) well-coordinated group play, and LOTRO just doesn't do that early enough. Apparently it finally gets going at endgame, which is supposedly a lot of fun.

With most MMO's design... you can't have one without the other...that is "encouraging grouping without forcing it". The way they do this is by creating content that you can't possibly solo and HAVE TO "Look For Group". That, my friend, is STILL forced grouping... it's just limited to certain content instead of majority of the content like old-school MMO's were.

Guild Wars 2 is the first MMO that I've seen turn this mechanic on it's head. Most of the Content is Coop only (like oldschool), but they've removed the need to "Look For Group", because the overal design promotes coop, instead of making PVE competitive (No Kill Stealing, No Loot Stealing, No having to form a group first, Etc. etc. Just help kill the shit!!!)

This is a fresh approach to a stale genre, IMO, and I enjoy it immensely. Once one has played a "coop approached" MMO instead of the traditional "solo vs. grouping" MMO, I don't think they'll ever go back.

Yeah, I've had a blast with that. And I notice - so far - at any rate that sort of co-operative style play encourages more postive behavior too. People don't have a need to rag on each other and people are always helping out with kills or rezzing each other. A big step in the right direction.

Is that an open beta? Might have to give it a shot if it is. Thanks!

Kittens!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo