Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

37. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Security May 23, 2012, 07:52 InBlack

While its true that most users are to blame when it comes to their account security there have been a number of reports of people loosing their accounts by simply playing in open games with 'hackers' who somehow manage to bypass the security wholesale?

In a game such as Diablo3 where for the first time in mainstream gaming history something like a Real Money Auction house will be available for D3 players, doesnt anyone think that hackers would be attracted to that like flies to shit????

Whatever the case may be, about a month or two before Diablo3 got released I got a very professional looking mail from what appeared to be Blizzard warning me to log in to battle.net to verify my identity as they had a report that my WoW account might have been stolen/traded whatever...

It looked very Blizzard like and I clicked on the link, took me to a site that looked exactly like bnet with the login screen and all but the URL looked kinda weird...after the .net there was another .is or .es or some weird country denomination...

Alarm bells went off in my head at that time and I never did log in to fake 'bent' but I wonder how many who preordered Diablo & had an old unused WoW account did....

In any case that was the best phishing attempt I have ever seen, no spelling mistakes, very well worded and the actual site mirrored the new battle.net to a fault, except for the URL...

This comment was edited on May 23, 2012, 07:58.

I have a nifty blue line!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo