Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Re: Wasteland 2 May 20, 2012, 08:42 Bhruic

It's designed to increase EA's market share

And how does it manage this increase in EA's market share? Again, it's not an Origin exlusive. People aren't going to be required to flock to Origin to try and buy the game.

which it will then abuse in the same its been doing for decades.

First off, if you go back a decade, EA was quite a good company. It's only recently that they've been making anti-consumer decisions. Secondly, how exactly have they been "abusing" market share?

I didn't claim that every single business decision that EA makes is inherently abusive

No, but you (and others) have turned a story about how EA is doing something decent for Kickstarter projects into an "OMFG, EA is the fucking devil!" story.

It's pretty simple, if you'd rather keep using Steam, retail, or whatever you use to buy games, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone who dislikes Origin to use it. Hell, I won't be buying any of the games on Origin - although that's mainly because Origin charges tax where Steam doesn't. But I'm fairly confident at least some people will buy it on Origin, so if the developers end up getting more money because of that fact - and because EA is effectively giving it to them - I don't mind admitting that EA is doing a decent thing.

However, we don't know what terms Valve offers and it's entirely plausible / likely that it offers the same or better terms and EA is only responding because it doesn't want to be ignored as a platform.

Well, as neither of us have details, I certainly can't prove they don't, but where is your evidence to suggest that it's plausible - let alone likely? Has there been any stories about Valve doing anything for Kickstarter projects? Considering how quickly this story hit the news, a similar story from Valve should have been equally well reported, but I find no such story.

So again, that's just bias talking. "EA is doing something decent, and they are totally shitty, so there's no way they could be doing something decent unless they were getting forced to by Valve."

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo