Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: Wasteland 2 NOT an Origin Exclusive May 20, 2012, 06:33 Jerykk

Wraith wrote on May 20, 2012, 06:19:
Shit Brian, who cares if it's a fucking exclusive. You shouldn't be getting into bed with EA in the first fucking place when you're using Kickstarter money to fund you.

There's two very good reasons not to go Origin. The first is that Kickstarter changes the fundamental developer/publisher relationship and elevates the developer above the level of common serf.

Publishers screw over developers like you wouldn't believe and any independently funded project has an edge over the traditional arrangement which sees publishers use milestone cheques to hold the developer to ransom.

Do you seriously think Wasteland 2 is going to get a reputation for a positive gaming experience on EA's piece of shit distribution service? A service which is known for its many issues and which will give EA the opportunity to create unhappy customers by screwing you over.

EA does not want Kickstarter projects to succeed. It undermines their fundamental financial power when negotiating with a developer.

Second is that EA are basically the same piece of shit cock-suckers who've been screwing gamers over to an increasing degree. Supporting EA is like giving a ride to the abusive husband who beats his wife because he'll toss you some gas money. It's selling your principles out for a couple of bucks.

When you finance shit yourselves, I don't care what you do - when you're using Kickstarter dollars, you really need to demonstrate some ethical cojones. Because WHO these donations benefit is a question that everyone will be asking eventually.

Does anyone seriously think people give to Kickstarter projects so the leeches at Electronic Arts can make a buck out of it? At least have the decency to state that shit up front before you start putting your hand out and asking for cash.

Wow. You act like EA is publishing Wasteland 2 or something. They aren't. They have no involvement with the game's development whatsoever. They are merely one of many digital distributors who will sell the game once it is finished. Also, for the first 90 days, EA won't make a penny from Wasteland 2 sales on Origin. Zero. Nada. Nothing. After that 90 days, they'll probably take a 30% cut, just like Steam, GamersGate, Amazon, Impulse, GetGames, GreenManGaming, GOG, GameFly, etc. Again, none of this has any impact on the game's development whatsoever.

As for the experience of playing Wasteland 2 on Origin, I expect it will be exactly the same as playing it on any other digital distribution client. You download it, install it and then play it. With Origin, you don't even need to run the Origin client after you install the game. You could install Wasteland 2, close Origin, never use Origin ever again and Wasteland 2 would work just fine.

I've seen irrational hatred before but this really takes the cake. I'm not really sure what you want here. Do you not want Wasteland 2 to be sold through any digital distributor? Or just Origin? How about Impulse, which is owned by GameStop? If selling through Origin and GameStop helps inXile make more money (which in turn improves post-release support and future projects), is it really so terrible that third-parties get a relatively small cut? Personally, I loathe GameStop so I don't buy anything from them, online or in stores, but I'm not going to go on a belligerent tirade about publishers and developers selling games through Impulse. Revenue is revenue and indie developers need as many revenue sources as possible.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 06:43.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo