Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

274. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 18, 2012, 02:18 Quinn

Prez wrote on May 17, 2012, 21:36:
Half of those reviews were undoubtedly "heat of the moment" reviews by people who couldn't play a game they've been anticipating for a decade. For those people, chances are all will be forgiven once Blizzard finally gets their shit together, and they'll end up wishing they hadn't written those reviews at all.

Exactly. Was gonna say that but read your post just in time.

As for the game itself... well, it's almost a kind of on-rails feeling, however ridiculous that sounds. It's because of the character development. In the first, what? 20 levels? there isn't really any thinking involved considering how you want to build your character.

At those "early" levels you only have 4 skills to use during battle -- which is probably why my wife enjoys the game. And, worst of all, you can't really customize your character to how you like to play and screw it up in the process. I know there's some simpletons out there shouting "CHOICE IS AN ILLUSION!" kind of utter bullshit, but being able to choose permanent upgrades with the possibility of screwing up in the process are what made these kind of games extra fun to me. It was that danger of screwing up that made the cogs in my brain turn a bit, which is a nice sensation in a game with such mindless gameplay.

That being said, the game is good fun. Was the hype justified? NEVER that. Maybe one day even some of the zombie fanboys will admit that.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo