Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

63. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 14:18 Dev

DG wrote on May 17, 2012, 13:09:
But 25 on steam for the game, with no Amazon sale over here.
Thats why you use amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk to get the $15 sale. Its a digital download of the game.
DG wrote on May 17, 2012, 13:03:
Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 08:19:
And I'd rather give blue referral if he has amazon referrals, than giving that other game site a referral.
Hmm, last I knew for a referral to give credit you had to use the coded URL and have the referrer page (told to their website by your browser) be from the web site registered for that referrer and that web site had to have something buried in it so that Amazon could confirm the referrer-account was authorised by that website.

Has that changed or did it never really work?

No complaints from me about any ideas of Blue having a referrer. Though I'd prefer if he avoided using the system certain other sites have which automatically change all posted urls, even by forum users, into referrer ones. Admittedly I mostly hate that because my adblock kills it (US site anyway so irrelevant to UK'er like me) and the link is difficult to deconstruct.
It depends on how its setup. One way is to put something special in the URL, such as that amazon one you pasted. That is recognized by amazon (it receives the complete URL afterall) and any purchases from that link will be credited by amazon to the owner of that referral account. This is actually one of the most common ways to do referrals since it survives a copy/paste. Its also why those sites you mention automatically change the URL, so they can always get referrals when people click the links from them. I will often edit the links to remove the referrals, if someone is getting paid for my purchases, I want something out of it Blue though, I want the site to keep going so I wouldn't mind him setting up an amazon referral account for those who want to help him out.

The other way to do referrals is to get them automatically through clicking on a link on a site that takes you to another site. This is done automatically on anything you click by the way URLs work, and the site gets the info on where you came from. This is sometimes used to give a referral credit. If you open a new tab and paste the link in, it defeats this automatic version. Sometimes sites use this to block your view of their webpage if they came from a place they don't like. For instance, if a popular deal on a deal site had a way to get something free that a company only had wanted to give out to people coming from another site, they could look for all visitors from that deal site and give them an error message, while letting the ones they wanted the deal to go to keep getting through.
Bhruic wrote on May 17, 2012, 08:35:
Then they also aren't "crippling" steam if they aren't using it, right? For the purposes of examining if Arma2 sales are "crippling" steam as the other guy claimed, if its not a steamworks game, and uses a different browser, then those plays aren't loading down steam, and can be ignored for the purposes of looking at the claim.

How exactly would using it even potentially cripple Steam? That doesn't make any sense, so I'm not sure why you leaped to that conclusion based on the guy's statement. It seemed obvious to me that he was refering to people downloading the game. Lots of people downloading large games is what has an impact on Steam, not running games that have no interface with Steam at all.

So yeah, peak players has no relation to the number of people downloading the game from Steam.
It wasn't "leaping to that conclusion" it was trying to think of all possible ways it could hurt steam. I already addressed the content servers (which are NOT full) so game the downloads are not maxing them out.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2012, 14:30.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo