Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 22:57 PropheT

Bhruic wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:54:
That sounds like what Microsoft said about Internet Explorer in Windows. But that's just a backwards way of looking at it. Are the features "inseparable"? Possibly. But they are that way because Blizzard designed them to be that way. It's not an inherent trait of the features. They could easily have included the exact same feature set for people playing online, and had them not enabled when not.

You cut out the part of my post where I more or less said that, and I disagree strongly that it could have been done easily. They could have designed the game to have two separate components, and I'd agree that I wouldn't have minded at all if they had, but it would have required a completely independent peer to peer client to be designed to keep it separate from the online game and its auction houses. It's easy to see why they didn't go that route, if unfortunate.

The only point I was trying to make was that it's not really just DRM, even if it does serve that purpose as well, since the always-on design in the game is based around actual features and server-side game hosting as opposed to just making sure you aren't pirating the game like UBI's setup does.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo