Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

71. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 21:12 Jerykk

Trying to make the best competitive game turns out fail, a lot of times that is the reason IMO. It should be made fun. It doesn't have equal-sided maps/bases, it can never be balanced.

You can make a game fun while making it balanced for competitive play. Personally, I don't think it's much fun to have weapons and items inaccessible until you reach a certain level. Also, with the rigid matchmaking system that you propose, the community would be very fragmented.

And yes making the game progressively change as people level up is a new direction in this genre, I knew it would scare people weeks ago when I thought of it.

Not sure what you're talking about. Unlockables in multiplayer shooters have been around since BF2 and are standard since CoD. It's not a new idea. Once again, the key to keeping unlockables somewhat balanced is to ensure that nothing is inherently superior. There shouldn't be upgrades, there should be side-grades, providing more options for different playstyles.

And I wouldn't say the community is stuck in Tribes tradition at all. The whole class and unlockable system is a huge change, as are the health regen, physics, barriers surrounding the environment, spawning with loadouts, etc. There have been a large number of significant changes that aren't faithful to the series at all. If the community was clinging to tradition, T:A wouldn't have so many players.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 21:20.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo