Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

71. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 14, 2012, 18:16 Flatline

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 7, 2012, 20:59:
All I want out of a Star Wars style MMO is X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter: The MMO.

I'm still waiting.

Jesus tell me about it.

I wrote a design document for shits & giggles on how I'd accomplish a new Star Wars X-Wing game.

First off, you'd need a 64 player minimum per battle/instance. Just that simple. Preferably 128 or even more if you could manage it (if you're doing MMO then it's doable). If we're dealing with more than 64 players per battle, maps need to be *big* so that you'll have skirmish pockets here and there.

The x-wing games, even including Alliance, pretty much had the space combat "feel" down pat. No need to go and fuck that up.

The game is heavily social, with pilots joining squadrons which take the place of guilds. Each squadron is assigned it's own base capital ship that works like a guild hall. Squadron leaders create wings, or teams, that you can assign mission targets to.

Experience is tracked in two ways... Individual performance and accomplishing objectives.

Squadrons actually physically move around the map in their capital ship. If you want to PvP them, you have to hunt them down and engage them.

I originally had this dream where you could nominate 1 person to be the squadron commander in a mission and they'd drop out of flying to get an RTS battle map where they could set waypoints, create objectives, reassign objectives, and direct reinforcements real-time during the game, Ender's Game style.

It should be doable, and probably even economical compared to how much most MMOs cost these days. You're not designing billions of square feet of terrain, or thousands of unique mission scripts. We've already seen that games like Tribes still have enough of a following to make money, I don't see why a space combat Tie/x-wing sim wouldn't make bank.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo