Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

70. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 14, 2012, 18:02 Flatline

ASeven wrote on May 7, 2012, 22:07:
So much for TOR being a WoW beater or even coming close to return the $300M investment.

Well, if they sold 3 million copies at 50 bucks a pop, that's 150 million right there.

If they maintain 1 million subscribers at 15 bucks a month for a year, that's another 180 million. Let's be super generous and tack another 50 million a year onto running the damn game (which is insanity) and you're left with a game that will probably hit profitability in 2 years if they can maintain a million subscribers.

My guess is that EA/Bioware were betting on a 3 year turnover until they hit profitability or broke even. Anything less than that is psycho crazy.

As for F2P, it's *way* too early for that. They'll do a status assessment at year 1 I imagine, and will have a pretty clear idea of if they're going to break even/hit profits according to schedule. If they're tanking, expect to see it go F2P not immediately, but right around when income starts into a death spiral. Then they'll hit F2P and get a surge of money and push *hard* to break even. As soon as that happens, they'll evaluate pulling the plug.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo